In a previous life I loved to paint with acrylics. I suspect that after the kids get a bit older I will get back to it. But today, while Geoff Livingston spoke to one of my clients, he brought up the analogy of painting in his presentation about bringing blog content to life.
I took this and added a few of my own thoughts to release the creativity in blog content.
- Think in broad brush strokes: Start with broad strokes and fill in the details later.
- Add color to your commentary: Personality matters. Just like there are a multitude of paining styles, each blogger should have his or her own styles.
- Leave some empty space: Don't try to say everything in one post. Serialize major ideas, and leave some things open for your readers to comment about.
- Learn the rules and then break them intelligently: Every community has a culture, until you know and respect the culture, you can't start breaking the rules.
- Pick your medium: Today there as many ways to paint the canvas as your creativity can allow. Podcasting, video blogging, micro blogging, social media mashups, etc. Mix it up.
What are some other tips you would give to enliven your blog content?