Recently Zoetica’s founder Kami Huyse appeared on Good Morning America (check out the clip if you didn’t get a chance to see her live).
Now maybe you’re thinking that it’s near impossible for you to be seen or heard by the people that matter unless you already have a national reputation. 🤔 And if you do think this, it’s ok, you’re not alone.
But the truth is it’s not necessary. Really!
The secret to growing your visibility is that you need to show up.
Yup, that’s it. Show up. 💪
When Kami first moved from Washington D.C. to Texas, she didn’t know anyone in the marketing and PR industries there. She had to completely start over from the beginning. But she began showing up and pretty soon things fell into place. She learned that “when you’re top of mind with someone, that’s when you start to grow.”
💡Here are some easy and proven ways to increase your visibility that everyone can do:
- Show up at events and participate. Raise your hand and share your ideas. This works equally well in person as on Zoom!
- If there’s an opportunity to volunteer, do so! Jump in and help at your local industry event. It doesn’t even have to be anything big or take a long time. By helping out you’ll become known to the event leaders, which can lead to opportunities down the road.
- Be generous with your knowledge and expertise. Share what you know. This helps people recognize that you’re a trusted source of information and also builds goodwill. When you help people with no string attached they’re more likely to want to help you too down the road. And by sharing interesting and valuable information in your area of expertise, pretty soon you’ll be a recognized authority.
- Be active on social media. You don’t have to share private things about yourself or your family, but you do need to have an online presence. Pick a social media platform or two and both post and comment regularly. You never know where it will lead. (Psst, Kami’s appearance on Good Morning America happened in a roundabout way through social media.)
- Invest in community building. There are so many things to say about the importance of community! Become a part of a grassroots community and maybe even create your own group! If you invest in people, they become the folks that will help you when you need it. Houston Social Media Breakfast is a community Kami created more than ten years ago. It shifted from in-person to exclusively online during the height of the pandemic, only recently holding its first in-person meeting again in over a year, and the bonds were as strong as ever.
- Show up all the time, not just when you feel like it. Consistency is key to increasing your visibility. Make sure your name comes across people's radar on a regular basis so you become top of mind, and then the opportunities will come.